Loch Sport Boat Club Winter News
The last two years have been hard on everyone, including the Boat Club. Covid restrictions have resulted in us delaying or altogether cancelling events and functions. During the sporadic lifting of restrictions, we still managed to successfully run many sailing and social events albeit with the burden of maintaining Covid compliance.2022 to 2023 is shaping up to be a bumper year for the club. We have many boating and social events planned and a new committee that’s enthusiastic and ready to go:
- Hal Olguner continues as Commodore leading the new team
- Greg McNeil as vice Commodore in charge of sailing and sail training
- Jennifer Weller Newton as Rear Commodore
- Peter Stockman as Secretary
- Roseanna Alexander as Treasurer
- Tracey Dines will be looking after the bar, food and functions.
- George Hanzalek as Publicity Officer
- Nick Tandy, Michael Riky and Nicole Stephens make up the balance of the committee.
************* Now is a great time to Join the club or renew your membership! ********************
We are currently finalising our 2022 2023 program which will include:
- Sail Training /Introduction to Sailing in club boats by qualified instructors for all ages
- Cruising in company. Whether it’s in a power boat or trailer yacht, we enjoy cruising around the vast Gippsland Lakes system. Our destinations include: Paynesville, Metung, Lakes Entrance, and some of the many secluded beaches and wilderness areas.
- · Paddle events for Kayaks and Stand-up Paddle boards
- · Club yacht racing, interclub racing and invitational regattas
- · We are finalising programs for the yacht racing fraternity, power boat enthusiasts and sailors of all ages.
- · We also welcome non sailing people from the Loch Sport Community and Visitors to Loch Sport with catered events and live entertainment.
We are fortunate to have a clubhouse situated right on the shore of Lake Victoria offering uninterrupted views over the Lake from our expansive deck. Great place for enjoying your favourite beverage from our licensed bar after a hard day’s sailing. The sunsets are truly magnificent. During the winter season the club’s Bar will be open Saturdays from 3:30 catering to the local community and to visitors that spend the weekend in Loch Sport but need to travel home on Sunday. The Club Bar is staffed by volunteers offering cool drinks and hot bar snacks next to a cosy wood fire. We are installing a huge screen for all the footy fans. Grand final should be a blast.
Last weekend’s working bee was a great success with a huge member turnout. Many hands do make light work! We manged to trim all the trees and shrubs and tidied the yard. The clubrooms, kitchen and Bar received a declutter and clean, the pool table has been recommissioned and a Big TV is on its way.
A big thanks to all the members that volunteered their time.
It’s important to remember for Melbourne or Latrobe Valley based members, our location is the closest for launching your boat in the Gippsland lakes. 30 minutes closer than Paynesville and 45min closer than Metung. The Club is situated adjacent to the Deep-Water Mooring Jetty. A large car park with a newly refurbished triple boat ramp is adjacent to the club. It has very little congestion even in the summer months, compared to other ramps around the lakes. The car park is free, has no time limit for parking cars with boat trailers being left there overnight or for a few days. There is no overhead obstruction around the boat club, car park or launch ramp allowing easy rigging up and mast raising. The jetty has half a dozen or so spots to tie up and a dump point. The beach in-front of the club is sandy with a steep fall of so can also be used to beach your boat.
Loch Sport Boat Club run by its members for its members.
The new committee is focused on ensuring a high level of member participation this coming season. We are interested in your comments and feedback, which will be raised at each subsequent monthly committee meetings. Tell us what you would like the club to be doing or not doing and we will try wherever practicable to plan to implement these changes. We are aiming at a high level of transparency and are focused on making the Loch Sport Boat club, a club for its members.
We have implemented a new communication strategy that will bring you news about club activities through the following channels:
Please send us an email with email addresses of friends and family who you think may benefit from receiving this newsletter. If you are no longer interested, please reply to this email with ‘Unsubscribe’ and we will remove you from our email list.
Other Quick Links: